Location: Chicago, Illinois
Built in 1872, this four-story building is an unusual surviving Italianate “commercial block” on Chicago’s Near West Side. The Indiana limestone façade was restored, and in parts replicated, for a historically accurate storefront. This historic renovation also included a complete update to the second, third and fourth floor, a green roof, a rooftop deck and a clear definition of space for future tenants on the first floor. All the interior floors were left exposed, adding to the urban-chic look and feel of the industrial office space for the advertising agency occupying the space. The addition of a bar and entertainment area overlooking the Chicago skyline created an alluring space for casual meetings and employee gatherings.